Tips On Preparing Your Home For The Marketplace.
Remember: first impressions count!
Make sure your property says “WELCOME.”
- Paint and repair chipped and peeling trim-work.
- Keep front door clean; paint it if need be.
- Trim foundation plants to keep from obscuring sun and views if you
have a ground level unit.
- Keep snow, leaves, and debris from entry and porches.
- Sweep and hose off decks, porches, and patios if needed.
The Front Door Greets The Prospective Buyer
- Be sure it is spotlessly clean.
- Repaint or re-stain if necessary.
- Replace worn or dirty welcome mats.
- Create a positive feeling with pots of seasonal flowers.
Windows And Lighting
- Keep windows sparkling; they let light into your home.
- Replace broken or cracked windowpanes and thermo-seals.
- Clean all light fixtures and replace burned out bulbs.
This is especially important in the winter months and if your property
is not south facing.
A Clean Kitchen Is A Must
Many buyers judge the housekeeping by the condition of the kitchen.
- Ovens should be impeccably clean; timers should operate.
- Stovetops should shine; replace stained burner drip pans.
- Vent-hood and filter should be free of greasy film.
- Dishwasher interiors should sparkle and be stain-free.
- Intercoms should be operable.
Sparkling Bathrooms Help Sell Properties
- Repair caulking in bathtubs and showers.
- Replace cracked or broken shower doors.
- Replace torn or soiled shower curtains.
- Tubs, toilets, ceramic tile, and fixtures should be free from soap
film and mildew.
- Mirrors should be sparkling.
Floors And Woodwork
- Clean and polish all hard surface flooring.
- Vacuum all carpeting; have professionally cleaned or replaced if needed.
- Polish all paneling and apply scratch remover if needed.
- Re-mortar firebox if needed.
- Clean out fireboxes and put fresh logs in firebox.
- Keep mantle clean, neat and remove clutter.
- Hearth should be free of ash and wood particles.
- Clean soiled moss rock or river rock if needed.
- Create warm and inviting smells such as apple pie or vanilla.
- Turn on key lighting: entry lights, bedside lights, under counter
lights and bathroom lights
- Turn on soft, soothing music.